Tuesday, October 30, 2018

My Hat



1st Graders are working hard to learn the song "My Hat."  This song has been a real challenge for students, but they are starting to catch on!

First, students sing the song with all of the words and no motions.  See the words below and sing with your child.

My hat it has three corners,
Three corners has my hat.
And had it not three corners,
It would not be my hat.

After singing all of the words, we took out the word "my" and replaced it with a motion (point to yourself).  We sang all of the rest of the words, but used inner hearing to only hear, not sing, "my."  Next, we took out the word "hat" and replaced it with a motion, then "three" and then "corners."  By the end, we were singing almost none of the words out loud!  The last time through the song, sing all the words and all the motions.

This song might take some practice.  We spent some time on it in music class, but it is difficult to remember which words are to be sung, and which words are to be silent.  Practice together until you get it! 

Hear Mrs. Larson's 1st grade class sing the song with all of the words by clicking the link below.

My Hat

Did your child sing you this song using their "Ask Me" sheet?  Let Mrs. Hiltz know by filling out this form and your child will get a sticker!