Monday, October 22, 2018

Purple Light

Image result for cowboy clipart

2nd Graders are learning a new cowboy echo song called "Purple Light."  See the lyrics below: 


Purple light (purple light) in the canyon (in the canyon)
That’s where I (that’s where I) long to be (long to be)
With my three (with my three) good companions (good companions)
My knapsack, my pony and me.


Whippoorwill (whippoorwill) in the willer (in the willer)
Sings a song (sings a song) a melody (a melody)
For my three (for my three) good companions (good companions)
My knapsack, my pony, and me.


No more cows (no more cows) to be ropin’ (to be ropin’)
No more strays (no more strays) shall I see (shall I see)
Just my three (just my three) good companions (good companions)
My knapsack, my pony, and me.


Gonna hang (gonna hang) my sombrero (my sombrero)
From the limb (from the limb) of a tree (of a tree)
Over my three (over my three) good companions (good companions)
My knapsack, my pony, and me.


Echo songs are important for students to gain independence in singing. They need to memorize only a short piece of a song and sing it back. We start with students all echoing the leader as a group, and then move into solos - each student echoing a line individually. Can your child lead you in the echo song?

We thought a lot about the lyrics of this song, challenging students to infer what the job of the person in the song is (a cowboy/girl). We also talked about some "wh" questions to go with the song: who?, where?, and when?

Hear Mrs. Curci's class sing this echo song with Mrs. Hiltz by clicking the link below.

Purple Light

Did your child sing this song with you from their "Ask Me" sheet? Let Mrs. Hiltz know by filling out this form. Your child will earn a sticker!