Monday, February 6, 2017

Closet Key

Image result for key clipart

1st Graders are working on a new simple song called Closet Key.  A simple song is a song with relatively few pitches (this one only has three), that students learn through repetition.  They listen to the song many times before ever trying to sing it themselves.


This song has a game that goes with it.  One student is "it" and they look away while a key is hidden with one of the students in the circle.  When the student who is "it" returns, the class sings the song.  The class sings loudly (but not in a shouting voice!) when "it" is close to the key and softly (but not in a whisper voice!) when "it" is far from the key.  At the end, the student who is "it" guesses who has the key.

Not only does this song help students work on singing in tune and singing independently, but it also helps them to control the volume of their voices.

Ask your child to sing this song for you.  They may want to look at the lyrics as a reminder.

I have lost my closet key,
In my lady's garden.
I have lost my closet key,
In my lady's garden.

Help me find my closet key,
In my lady's garden.
Help me find my closet key,
In my lady's garden.

I have found my closet key,
In my lady's garden.
I have found my closet key,
In my lady's garden.

Hear Miss Carroll's 1st Grade class perform the song below.