Monday, April 2, 2018

Down by the Bay

Image result for watermelons clipart



Preschool and Kindergarten is singing a silly echo song called "Down by the Bay."  Students love hearing the silly rhyming jokes at the end and even came up with their own!

Hear are the words.  See if you can echo your child!

Down by the bay (down by the bay)
Where the watermelons grow (where the watermelons grow)
Back to my home (back to my home)
I dare not go (I dare not go).
For if I do (for if I do),
My mother will say (my mother will say).
"Did you ever see a whale with a polka-dotted tail,
Down by the bay?"

"Did you ever see llamas, wearing pajamas,
Down by the bay?"

"Did you ever see a bear, combing his hair,
Down by the bay?"

After we sang the song several times, students looked at the pictures in this book.  Some thought the pictures were similar to what they were picturing, and some had pictured something different.  It was important that students came up with their own images first.  Kindergarteners have the greatest imaginations!

Image result for down by the bay raffi book

After we learned the song as written with lots of silly rhyming jokes, we came up with our own jokes.  The joke needed to start with an animal and end with a word that rhymed with that animal.  I was very impressed with students' rhyming skills.  They wrote down their joke and drew a picture to go along with it.  Check with your child to see what they wrote!

Hear Mrs. Gallant's kindergarten class sing the song by clicking the link below:

Down by the Bay

Hear Mrs. Beaudry's class sing their own version of this song, with jokes written by the students, by clicking the link below:

Down by the Bay Preschool Edition